Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Something new...

In the spirit of gratitude, I have decided to start a new blog tradition. Each Tuesday I will highlight someone who has been or is currently influential in my life. Might be a family member, might be a friend, might be someone who doesn't even realize that they have had an impact on my life. I might share a favorite memory or I might make a list...either way, I have decided to keep it fairly short so that it doesn't become overwhelming. I will randomly pick people from the list so that the list order is in no way indicative of the person's importance. Since I don't have pictures of everyone, I have decided to always include the same graphic on these posts. If I do have a picture...well...that will be a bonus. I will call these posts TuesdayLove. I am looking forward to the gratitude that I will feel as I call up old and not so old memories. I am also looking forward to publicly recognizing people who have added so much to my life. Clearly not everyone I will mention reads the blog...but as my mom always told me...It's the thought that counts.

Blessed is the influence of one true, loving human soul on another.
-George Eliot
And...if you are so inclined...feel free to copy the graphic and add TuesdayLove to your blog schedule. We all have so many to be thankful for....

First randomly chosen person.... Mary Akers (my mom's cousin.....so my second cousin??)

Mary....I will never forget staying at your house in the mountains when I was a kid. You had robes for all of your guests and I was absolutely fascinated by the idea of it! My mom never wore a robe (not that she ran around naked, she just didn't wear robes) and so I never had a robe. That first morning, I picked out a robe of yours and drank hot chocolate in the kitchen with you and mom and grandma. I felt so grown up and so special all because of your purple chenille robe. The next morning, to my surprise, my robe didn't drag the floor two feet behind me. Instead, it fit me perfectly. You hemmed it to fit me and said that I could take it home! I couldn't believe it. It made my day! Thank you for your kindness. I've often tried to make someone else's day in that same way. If I have ever have a little guest who is infatuated with my robes I promise to be the little elf in the night who cuts and sews and makes her day. Also, I've always loved your many houses. Of course, the one in the mountains was amazing. (Except for the fake anteater on the landing.) But, the beach ones always inspired me. I loved the little bungalow that you and Al lived in. I remember it as an A-frame with a loft to sleep in. There were neat little interesting things everywhere and I always thought to myself...I want to live in a place like this. Thanks, too, for helping me make my Susan B. Anthony doll in the fourth grade. And...I've always loved your laugh, as well.


As you might have noticed, I have decided not to care too much about run-on sentences and such while I write my TuesdayLove entries.

6 comments:

the redhead said...

what a sweet idea. looking forward to reading. can't wait for the dottie post. :)

jane said...

nice idea sara. what a sweet memory.

-erin m said...

cute idea! i bet you felt like a little princess with that robe!

Jennifer said...

I look forward to reading these. Maybe I can play along when Cooper gets a little bigger.

I remember that house at the beach. One time when we were there I got a mega sunburn and Mary cut a piece of aloe from her plant and put it on my burn. She's sweet. I always liked her and Al.

Casey Wallace said...

Great and thoughtful way to share feelings so often unsaid to people you love! Looking forward to reading them.

krista said...

Sara,

As always, full of terrifc ideas...that's why I enjoy knowing you so much. I may try this myself in the future but since i have been to sporadic lately in my blogging I may do it once a month....we'll see. In the meantime, I will look forward to reading yours.

Krista